The short history
Deodar House School opened on 8 July 1957 in a rented bungalow on Rajpur Road, with 41 pupils, three classrooms, and two teachers: Govind Kala and Savitri Kala, who had taught for a decade in Mussoorie before coming down the hill. The bungalow stood in a grove of deodars, and the school took its name from the trees rather than the founders.
The school moved to its present fourteen-acre campus at Jakhan in 1964, was affiliated to the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations (CISCE) in 1969, and presented its first ICSE batch in 1971 and its first ISC batch in 1978. It has been co-educational throughout, a point the founders insisted on in the society's deed.
Deodar House remains a day school run by the Deodar House Education Society, a registered non-profit. It admits children without regard to religion, caste, or gender, and reserves seats each year under the RTE Act for the entry class.
Milestones
| Year | Entry |
|---|---|
| 1957 | School opens on Rajpur Road with 41 pupils and 2 teachers |
| 1964 | Move to the fourteen-acre Jakhan campus; the main block is built |
| 1969 | Affiliation to CISCE, New Delhi |
| 1971 | First ICSE batch: 18 candidates, all passed |
| 1978 | First ISC batch; the house system begins with Deodar and Oak |
| 1986 | Birch and Pine houses added; enrolment crosses 600 |
| 2003 | Kala Memorial Library opens with 9,000 volumes |
| 2014 | Senior school building with the five-storey atrium completed |
| 2024 | Enrolment reaches 1,142 across Nursery to Class XII |
Four working rules
Outdoors daily
Every class from Nursery to XII has a games or garden period on the timetable, every day, in every season.
One page of fees
The full fee schedule fits one printed page and is handed over before registration, not after.
Teachers who stay
Median teacher tenure is 11 years. Children are taught by people who taught their siblings.
Plain reporting
Report cards carry marks, attendance, and a teacher's sentence. No decorative grades.